Like anyone needs my advice as to how to do that. Go ahead, have at it. Go shopping. Shop to you drop. How much do you need? Suppose we open the coffers. How much; another million? Ten Million? Twenty-five, fifty? $100,000,000? This is a one-time offer, so make sure you ask for everything you need
What if I told you this money is available provided you correctly answer a few basic questions. Reasonable? I’d hope so for a hundred million dollars.
1. What will you do with the money that you haven’t already done?
2. Has anyone else every done that?
3. If yes, did it work for them?
4. If no, why not, and what makes you think it will work for you?
5. Will these additional funds;
5a. Get you the ARRA money?
5b. Enable you to see more patients?
5c. Help you retain and attract physicians?
5d. Increase patient safety?
6. What is your mission?
7. Why isn’t your mission the KPIs listed in question 4?
8. Are other hospitals spending the amount you are requesting?
9. Did that amount of funding allow them to meet the criteria specified in question 5?
10. If no, what makes you think you can do it?
If your CFO asked these questions, would you think them reasonable? If not, prepare 3 envelopes (see Google)
If you don’t buy the right EHR and implement it correctly, you’ve just spend a hundred million dollars to scan charts. Somebody will be held accountable for the money.
Upgrade the coffee to Starbucks-$5. New bedpan-$50. New plasma monitors-$1,200. Knowing what you are doing—Priceless.